The archive of the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA)
is located in Jerusalem. It essentially continues the archive from the British Mandate era. Following the conquest of Palestine by British forces, headed by General Allenby in 1918, the documentation and data collecting of ancient and archaeological sites had begun. Once a civil government was established by the British Mandatory Authorities in 1920, the Department of Antiquities was created and the archive had become an integral part of it.
The Department of Antiquities of the State of Israel was founded on July 26, 1948, Its activities were based on British Mandate Antiquities ordinances. In 1978, the Mandate ordinances were superseded by the Law of Antiquities that was passed by the Knesset. In 1990, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA)
was established and replaced the Department of Antiquities.
The IAA archive
consists of several sections:
Mandatory : Scientific Record Files Collection (SRF), and Administrative Files, (ATQ).
Israel: scientific and administrative inspection files, excavation files and storage of files of the different IAA units.
Maps; plans and drawings; conservation files; books and cards of finds and squeezes (for details, see IAA link).